Sunday 8 November 2009

Busy week end

Although I was not feeling 100% we decided to continue with our plans for the week end. Saturday evening we went along with some friends to Hamstead annual fireworks display at Tanhouse Community Centre. This is one of the best value for money events throughout the year and attracts a good crowd. Nice display of fireworks and the kids having a great time. Because of the amount of time I would have been required to stand and the fact I was in some pain we decided to take the wheel chair. My friend who accompanied us is wheel chair bound permanently these days and his wife is very good at manipulating him. The misses is a delicate lady and inexperienced at pushing a chair so it was going to be fun. The first problem was drivers who left their cars parked across the pavement so that a wheel chair could not get passed. The worst piece of parking though was from a large BMW who parked across the wheel chair cross over point which was at the road junction. Only one car with a blue badge was allowed to park inside the perimeter and I wonder why? Before the display started I needed the loo and decided I would propel myself to the toilet inside the centre. There is a ramp for chairs but I have to say I could not propel myself up the ramp it was too steep, despite me “having a run at it” A couple of kids decided to help, despite me telling them I wanted to do it myself they pushed me up the last bit. Getting into the loo in a chair is not possible without a lot of manipulation. Using a chair in a crowd can be a harassing experience because people do not look where they are going. The entrance ramp needs to be re-designed because I don’t believe a chair user was consulted on this design. Finally for the inconsiderate drivers who had parked illegally, when they are caught they should be sentenced to spend a week in a wheel chair they would soon become more considerate. Grrrrrrrrrrrr
I’m thinking of producing some “Polite Notices” telling them about their inconsideration and warning them that their parking will be reported. Now should I be polite or down right rude?
Interesting footnote there were plenty of cops at the event enjoying the show but non on the approach roads making sure drivers parked correctly. Ummmmmm
Perhaps Ch. Supt. Dugmore you would like to look into this?
Sunday morning the misses and I attended the memorial service at the war memorial in Dartmouth Park. What a splendid turnout and a very emotional service. I can’t remember seeing that many for a long time there must have been 2000 people there of all ages.

8 comments:

margaret macklin said...

So it was you and the Tanhouse center that is responsible for the noise nuisance at the weekend that gave my dogs nervous breakdowns and terrified the baby until 2 in the morning??????As for the people who park across the pavement, I have tried the polite notices and the apologies for the buggy bashing their paintwork. Nothing works with these people who cannot park their cars sensibly in case they have a foot extra to walk.Its usually the people who pay vast amounts for a gymn to keep them fit?

Fat Prophet said...

Had you thought the kids who offered to push you might have thought you were the 'guy'?

Bob the Black Country Brummie said...

FP, your comment goes into the funniest comments category along with the “should have gone to specsavers” about my wife’s drinking of muscle soak. Margaret ,sorry but the Tanhouse show ended about 8:30 and the fireworks were pretty rather than loud. Tanhouse management committee did an excellent job of organising this event. I agree though about the general nuisance we had Thursday Friday Saturday and Sunday evening upset by bonfires and fireworks. This can’t be right. The 5th and nearest Saturday is absolute max and I think the local police should step in but if they can’t be bothered to check out parking at an event they’re monitoring what chance do we have?

Fat Prophet said...

I have just realised I may have seen some of the fireworks as I went to the Malt Shovel for a meal on Friday evening.Glad you liked the humour!!
In repect of parking when I worked at some flats where we had problems I used to put a sticker on the windscreens that said 'Congratulations you have won the pratt of the week award for your excellent parking' applied wit a little wallpaper paste worked wonders ( it took a bit of getting off but not entirely sure it was legal)

Bob the Black Country Brummie said...

What a good idea FP my misses though is threatening all sorts if I try it. BBCB

margaret macklin said...

great idea about wallpaper paste.That one that used to be advertised by man in overalls being carried by helicopter?
To be fair to police and fireworks how do they identify perps if they are on own property?

Fat Prophet said...

Perhaps the real answer to the fireworks issue is to either ban them except for organised displays or to take the bangs out of them and to reduce the days they can actually be used on. When I was a child we only had them on bonfire night - not over ten days or more as seems to happen now.

Bob the Black Country Brummie said...

I know FP when I was a kid bonfire night only we never had a firework untill I was in my teens. It's the unthoughtfullness of users that gets me. The local cops just ignore it. It is afterall low lever anti social behaviour