Saturday 9 February 2008

Pensioners’ concessionary travel

I’m hearing rumours that the new national travel pass scheme for us seniors might not be what we thought it was going to be. Our dearly beloved Prime Minister in one of his last acts has chancellor announced an improved scheme for pensioners across England. This scheme was heralded by Better Government for Older People, The National Pensioners Convention and a few other bodies as being a big improvement. I suppose for many it will be but I am hearing that here in the West Mids where we have an excellent scheme which gives us access to free travel on trains and metro system; we may be in danger of loosing free trains and metro travel. One union I am advised is telling its pensioner members to be vigilant and hold onto their existing passes when the new ones arrive in March. I hope this is not true but if it is I predict our Midlands MPs and mine in particular will get a rough ride leading to the next election. Better get a repeat prescription for my blood pressure pills, my banners prepared and chants rehearsed. How about for starters “hands of my travel pass you stingy ass” I’ll do better given a little more time. Watch this blog for updates on this story.

No comments: