Saturday 3 January 2009

Gongs

Fellow Sandwell blogger Bob Piper did a piece the other day on the New Years honours list. Sorry Sir Robert you didn’t get one. http://www.bobpiper.co.uk/2008/12/arise_sir_bobby.php
During our local election campaign I made it one of the priorities for our ward. As you would expect once again dear old Newton was completely overlooked. In fact West Bromwich seems to have been ignored unless the local paper missed someone in their report. It’s all very well giving honours to celebs and sports personalities but what about the real people? I’m thinking of people like blind Dave Heely and his mate Malcolm Carr who ran seven marathons in seven days on seven continents and raised half a million quid for guide dogs. The lady who is a stroke sufferer who has run our local stroke club for twenty five years and the guy who is leading the campaign to save our Park. I’m not sure how this gong system works but I suspect our MPs have a big part to play in making the nominations. So why did these people get overlooked? Dave Heely was just as high a publicity item as the Olympic swimmers or cyclists and just as good an athlete. So come on whoever is responsible for making these nominations let’s hear it for West Brom & Newton.

2 comments:

Bob Piper said...

Bob, believe it or not... you can nominate: http://www.honours.gov.uk/nominate.aspx

Bob the Black Country Brummie said...

So you can. Thanks Bob for the link. I think I’m more annoyed now I know where the forms go – To the cabinet office where our MP is a junior minister. Four outstanding local people ignored. I wonder why? I'll download a couple of forms.