Monday 23 June 2008

Three cheers for Sandwell Libraries

In Sandwell we have splendid free library service. This year is 100 yrs of West Brom Central Library I wrote the following poem to celebrate this event. The theme was libraries past and present.

Our libraries were built for folks like me,
To make reading available for all for free.
So I went to the library to get me a book,
whilst I was there I had a really good look.
There’s fiction and science and many biogs,
big books for boys a big book of frogs.
They used to stamp books with date and time,
return it by then or get a big fine.
Computers for info and recording our books,
with staff that are helpful! No dirty looks.
Now if you’re older no fines do you get,
some of us oldies sometimes forget.
“Quiet please” lets have some hush,
talk to loud they all mimed “Shush”.
A place to learn, escape, lets see,
Rejoice the library service is still free.
I’m glad our libraries are there for me.

1 comment:

Bob the Black Country Brummie said...

Thanks for your comment Max. Like me my Grandkids are avid readers and our lives are enriched for it
BBCB